Written sources and lately archaeological practices have proved the existence of potteries in the city of Sabadell.
First potters appear in written documents from 14th and 15th centuries. Proliferation of pottery is documented during 17th and 18th centuries and in 1794 we count 14 pottery workshops and a production of 313,540 pieces. Throughout this century pottery production grows exponentially and achieves its greatest development, and can be found in all regions of central Catalonia.
The last 25 years, thanks to the archaeological excavations that have been carried out in the city centre of Sabadell we have a better understanding of the activity and the modern pottery production in the city. So, we now have a total of seven different workshops physically identified. These workshops can be dated from the mid-17th century and developed during the 18th century, with a significant concentration of pottery workshops in the northern part of the city, in the old medieval district of El Raval.
During 2012, 2013 and 2014 an archaeological excavation at 11 Les Valls street, in Sabadell, was carried out. In it the city moat and walls and a defence tower were find. One of the layers filling the moat was full of defect ceramics thrown during the 18th century (1730 – 1760) probably from a close pottery workshop, not yet located.
With this finds we could study the pottery productions of Sabadell during the modern era and here we offer you a quick and small peek.
Pottery production of Sabadell (18th c.)
- Source: Stratum (SU 275) filling the moat in the northern part of the walled city of Sabadell. This stratum had 274 fragments of defective pottery, made during the s. XVIII.
- Excavation: 2012, 2013, 2014.
- Inventory number: LV11’12-275
- Stratigraphic Dating: XVIII Century (1730-1760).
- Material: Pottery of Sabadell.
- Description: Several pieces of green and brown glazed pottery, many defective. 1: Chamber pot. 2: portable stove. 3: Mal de mare (bowl). 4, 5 i 6: Little pots. 7, 8: Earthenware pitchers. 9, 10, 11: Plates.
- Parallels: This is a very common ceramic in the repertoires of 17th and 18th centuries. The Sabadell productions can be found in the central regions of Catalonia, where trade reached. The pieces are closely resembled to those produced in Barcelona or Reus, other production areas in these centuries.
- ROIG BUXÓ, Jordi (2014). “Arqueologia d’època moderna a Sabadell: la transformació de la vila fortificada baixmedieval i el desenvolupament dels tallers artesanals de vidre i de terrissa (s. XVI al XVIII)”. Arraona: Revista d’Història. Sabadell: Ajuntament de Sabadell. Arxiu Històric de Sabadell, núm. 34, p. 82-115.
- MATAS, O. – ROIG, J. (2007): “La intervenció arqueològica a la via Massagué, 6 – 8: noves aportacions al coneixement del sistema defensiu baixmedieval de la vila de Sabadell i un nou centre terrisser d’època moderna” a Actes III Congrés d’Arqueologia Medieval i Moderna a Catalunya. 18 al 21 de maig de 2006, Acram, Sabadell, Vol.1, p. 192 – 206.